Help us beat breast cancer

Saturday, June 9, 2012

And the diagnosis is.....

I was living the life. I have a wonderful husband and two beautiful babies. I'm a year into nursing school, 1 more to go to reach my goal. When I found it! A suspicious lump on my left breast. After many, and I mean many invasive and non-invasive tests, the diagnosis was in. Invasive ductal carcinoma, is what they said. Breast cancer? Me? No way! How could this be? I have no family history, I'm only 34 years old, for god sakes. But it's the harsh reality I'm facing right now. I met with my surgeon, Dr. McGuire. She's so compassionate and understanding and sat with me for a long while, explaining what my options are. Do we do surgery first? Chemo? Radiation? Yikes... so much to take in. Next was the meeting with my Oncologist, Dr. Ristogi, another beautiful soul. She explained that my best treatment option would be to start with chemo first x's 6 months to decrease the size of the lump, then remove the tumor via a lumpectomy with Dr. McGuire, and potentially radiation afterwards. So there it is, my plan in a nutshell I have days of extreme anxiousness, worrying about my future, my poor husband who has been my rock, and my childrens welfare. I worry about the financial aspect of all the co-pays, deductables and dr. bills. Through this past month, I have been humbled by such supportive friends, relatives, and co-workers. I have received food donations, grocery store gift cards, a fundraising benefit in July to help with my financial costs. Many of you, outside and inside of the Pittsburgh area have asked how they can contribute, so my husband put together this page. I hate asking for things as I've always been such a strong, independent women. But the truth of the matter, is that I need help. My family needs help making ends meet, as I fight this cancer that has invaded my body. With all the love and support I've been receiving, I have no doubt that Cancer messed with the wrong chick. Keep the prayers coming and I thank you, from the bottom of my heart for your help.

5 comments:

  1. Donation sent. Wish I could do more, but I hope it helps in some small way. Also, with your permission, I'd like to post a link to this sight on my blog. I have a small, loyal following that might be willing to help a little bit. But I'll wait to hear form you that it is OK before I do anything...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark,
      Thanks for the donation, every little bit helps. I haven't seen you in years yet you still have the compassion to help me out. So thank you, truly! I would be okay with you sharing this on your blog. Much love and appreciation.
      Krista

      Delete
    2. The post is up at www.arrogant-sob.com. Hope it helps...

      Delete
  2. My name is Patti McDonald... Krista is my one and only daughter who I love so so much.... I would have to agree she is the one of the strongest women I know. I thank God each day that she has this fight in her. It is something that I feel is so important to beat this dreadful disease that strikes over 200,000 women a year! May God bless you Krista, and your wonderful husand Jon. Another reason I do thank God each day. Many of my friends have been praying for her complete recovery. I know the road to recovery will not be an easy one, but I know in my heart that KRISTA WILL WIN IT! thank you in advance to all of you that support and help my daughter and also for the prayers. God Bless
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. More than happy to donate to your complete recovery. You, your family and your great mom have all of my prayers.

    A Poke your way for good luck!

    ReplyDelete